What to Bring With You?
away from home for nine months is likely to be an adventure for you.
Unlike being away for a few weeks, it means you should make sure you
have everything you need for all sorts of events and weather. However,
although the rooms are adequate, please remember that there is NOT a lot a storage space for unnecessary items.
service is provided for community areas of the residence halls.
Students are responsible for the upkeep of their rooms and suite baths.
To prevent damage, you are not allowed to tack or nail items to the
walls. Please use Plasti-Tak or similar wall adhesive products instead
of tape. Contact paper on walls or doors is not permitted.
University provides beds, desks, desk chairs (at your request once you
arrive), dressers, a microwave/freezer/refrigerator, and venetian
blinds. Students need to bring sheets, pillow cases, towels,
washcloths, and blanket(s). Housing & Residence Life has found a
convenient, affordable way to ensure you have sheets that will fit the
extra-long mattresses in our residence halls. The Residence Hall Linens program
has all your campus living needs, from extra long twin sheets
and comforters to matching towels and storage items. Free shipping is
available on all Value Pak orders, and there are over 40 color
combinations to choose from. Proceeds from this program go to Housing
& Residence Life and are used for programming in the residence halls
at Furman University. Please visit the RHL website http://www.rhl.org/fur
In addition, you may wish to bring the following:
- Shower curtain (suite-style rooms only)
- Laundry basket or bag and detergent
- Study desk lamp (Blackwell hall has built-in lamps)
- Broom and dust pan
- Waste basket and liners
- Power strip with internal safety circuit breaker (extension cords are prohibited)
- Coat hangers
- Clothes for a variety of seasons and events
- Alarm clock or clock radio
- Dictionary, thesaurus, and calendar
- Can opener, cups, and ice bucket (ice machines are available)
- Scissors and sewing kit
- Iron (to be used only in laundry rooms or kitchens)
- Automatic coffee pot (open-faced electrical appliances are prohibited)
- Curtains and tension rods (if desired). They must be fire resistant.
- Plasti-Tak wall adhesive to hang posters, etc. (the use of double-sided tape or carpet tape is prohibited)
- Mattress pad
Also, please make sure you are familiar with the items which are prohibited in campus housing under Furman's Fire Hazards Policy
is definitely a matter for joint decision-making, so we urge you to
discuss your ideas with your roommate(s). In particular, you may want
to check about phones, DVD players, and
televisions. More than one of each can make your room very crowded.
Greenville has a number of outlets and plenty of department stores. The
Furman University Bookstore also sells many helpful items, such as some
of those listed above.