At Furman, we have a deferred recruitment process. That means you’ll have a chance to find your social and academic niche before deciding whether or not you want to join a fraternity. When you're ready to pursue membership in a fraternity in the spring, be sure to review our process and guidelines.
Each fraternity is dedicated to finding members with leadership potential, high academic standards, and a commitment to service. That’s why we have some requirements for participating in Greek Life. In order to be eligible to join an organization, register with the Interfraternity Council.
Each recruit must:
- Complete and pass at least 12 units recognized by Furman with a 2.25 GPA in the semester prior to joining a fraternity.
- Maintain a 2.25 cumulative GPA.
- Must register online with the Furman Interfraternity Council.
- Attend IFC Open House and events during the week of Formal Recruitment in January.
You’ll begin hearing about the recruitment process in the fall during an information session as part of fall orientation. Not only will you learn about Greek Life at Furman, you’ll have the chance to sign up for emails from different fraternities. Most of our students will go through spring recruitment, but upperclassmen are able to participate in fall recruitment, which is handled by individual fraternities. In the spring, you’ll participate in a number of events to learn about each fraternity:
- Open house: During the first round of recruitment all the fraternities will be represented and you’ll have a chance to learn more about the recruitment process. Attire is casual. Attendance is required for for all men participating in recruitment.
- Smokers: Following open house, you’ll learn about each fraternity at a smoker. Each fraternities will host their own smoker, where you’ll be invited to smoke a cigar and see a presentation about the fraternity. Attire is a coat and tie.
- Invite round: During the invite round, each fraternity invites the men they’d like to get to know better back to the fraternity. These events are different for each fraternity and you’ll find out more about what you’ll be doing and what you should wear from the invitation. Each event lasts about two hours and you’re encouraged to go to all the events you’re invited to.
- Mountain parties: A tradition for Furman fraternities, each group will celebrate their mountain trip a little differently. You can attend up to two parties and you’ll get more information about what to expect in your invitation.
- Bid day: On your bid day, you’ll gather in the sanctuary of Daniel Chapel to accept a bid and be introduced to the fraternity community waiting outside.
- Day of service: You’ll join the other men who accepted bids to a fraternity to participate in a day of service in the Greenville community. This day is mandatory.