At Furman, we have a deferred recruitment process. That means you’ll have a chance to find your social and academic niche before deciding whether or not you want to join a fraternity. When you're ready to pursue membership in a fraternity in the spring, be sure to review our process and guidelines.
Each fraternity is dedicated to finding members with leadership potential, high academic standards, and a commitment to service. That’s why we have some requirements for participating in Fraternity and Sorority Life. In order to be eligible to join an organization, register with the Interfraternity Council. Registration for 2018 will open on October 1, 2017.
Each recruit must:
- Complete and pass at least 12 units recognized by Furman with a cumulative 2.25 GPA.
- Maintain a 2.25 cumulative GPA.
- Must register online with the Furman Interfraternity Council.
- Attend IFC Open House and events during the week of Formal Recruitment in January.
You’ll begin hearing about the recruitment process in the fall during an information session as part of fall orientation. Not only will you learn about Fraternity and Sorority Life at Furman, you’ll have the chance to sign up for emails from different fraternities. Most of our students will go through spring recruitment, but upperclassmen are able to participate in fall recruitment, which is handled by individual fraternities. In the spring, you’ll participate in a number of events to learn about each fraternity:
- Open house: During the first round of recruitment all the fraternities will be represented and you’ll have a chance to learn more about the recruitment process. Attire is casual. Attendance is required for for all men participating in recruitment. This event is offered both in the fall and at the beginning of the formal recruitment week in January. Men only need to attend one of the two sessions offered.
- Smokers: Following open house, you’ll learn about each fraternity at a smoker. Each fraternity will host their own smoker, where you’ll be invited to smoke a cigar and see a presentation about the fraternity. Attire is a coat and tie. These events happen in the fall.
- Invite round: During the invite round, each fraternity invites the men they’d like to get to know better back to the fraternity. These events are different for each fraternity and you’ll find out more about what you’ll be doing and what you should wear from the invitation. Each event lasts about two hours and you’re encouraged to go to all the events you’re invited to. These events happen during formal recruitment week in January.
- Intention round: Each group will celebrate this round a little differently. You can attend up to two events and you’ll get more information about what to expect in your invitation. These are held during formal recruitment week in January.
- Bid day: On your bid day, you’ll gather in the sanctuary of Daniel Chapel to accept a bid and be introduced to the fraternity community waiting outside.
Dates for 2017-18 are as follows:
- All-Greek Block Party: August 30th
- IFC Barbecue: September 6th
- Fall Open House: October 26th
- Smokers: November 14th and 16th
- Final Open House: January 8th
- Invitation Rounds: January 9th and 10th
- Mountain Parties: January 11th and 12th
- Bid Day: January 14th