The Greenbelt Community is a living and learning community that prepares students for leadership and service in the field of sustainability. You will be part of a close-knit community where residents aspire to live a more sustainable lifestyle and gain a better understanding of their own impact on the environment.
As a resident in our community, you'll gain invaluable lessons about collaboration, initiative and experiential learning. You'll work closely with your classmates to develop innovative ideas that will lead the Greenville community and our society toward a more sustainable future.
If you're passionate about reducing your environmental footprint and advocating for change, our community is the right fit for you.
To be an active member in our community, we expect our students to meet the following:
- Support the mission of the Greenbelt Community.
- Enroll in and actively participate in the Greenbelt Community academic program (SUS 280 in the fall and SUS 281 in the spring).
- Embrace the concept of sustainability by learning about sustainable living practices, recycling and attempting to reduce your energy consumption.
- Become a leader and champion for sustainability at Furman.
- Meet regularly with fellow residents to help foster and develop an intellectual and residential community.
- Attend Greenbelt Community-sponsored events.
If you are unable to meet these commitments, you could potentially be dismissed from the community and relocated to one of Furman's other residences.