Some students may have medical conditions that require special diets and/or special care through Dining Services. In order to ensure that each request is
considered in a consistent and appropriate manner, students should
follow the steps listed below.
request a meal plan modification
- Complete the online Initial Contact Form
- Submit documentation
Request that your treating professional (physician or therapist) provide the Student Office for Accessibility Resources with documentation of your condition(s). Documentation must be submitted on the treating professional's letterhead and NOT on a prescription pad. This information may be emailed to SOAR@furman.edu or faxed to 864-294-3044.
Guidelines for Documentation
Students who wish to request medical exceptions to the meal plan should have their physician or treating professional submit a letter containing the following information:
- Diagnosis & date of onset
- Summary of procedures and laboratory results used to arrive at the diagnosis
- Explanation of why the regular Dining Services menu with self-selection is detrimental to the patient's health
- Description of the special diet/ diets recommended (attach a copy of the diet to the letter, if possible)
- Recommendation regarding whether the student should receive guidance in how to select appropriate food for his/her diet
- Estimate of the length of time this diet is needed
The letter should be on letterhead, dated and signed by the physician. Documentation on prescription pads is not acceptable.
All documentation should be emailed or faxed to:
Student Office for Accessibility Resources
Once the Student Office for Accessibility Resources has received the form and documentation, the information will be reviewed by SOAR personnel and a professional with expertise in the area of nutrition and dietary needs to determine if the request may be allowed. In some cases, the student may need to meet with dining hall staff to discuss allergies or special meal preparation.
SOAR will notify the student VIA E-MAIL regarding the decision about the request. If the request is approved, SOAR will notify the appropriate Furman staff members to make the necessary changes to the meal plan and if needed, provide a reimbursement for meal plan fees already paid.