General FAQ

Federal Work Study (FWS)/payroll FAQ

  • How do I know if I am eligible for FWS?

      To apply for the FWS program, you or your family must complete the FAFSA each year. Work-study is based upon a student's financial need. To check on your status, log into MyFurman or drop by the Financial Aid Office in the Furman Administration Building, room 103 on the end of Furman Hall.

  • What does the award amount mean?

      The FWS amount that appears on your financial aid award notice is an eligibility amount. This amount will not be applied toward your tuition. Rather, the 'award' represents the amount of FWS funds you are allowed to earn during the school year.

  • What types of FWS jobs are available?

      FWS eligible students may choose from a variety of on and off campus jobs that include, but is not limited to: clerical, tutoring, Help Desk assistant, laboratory assistants, and many other positions.

  • I am approved for FWS. How do I get a work-study job?

      At the beginning of fall term, work-study eligible students will receive an email stating when the FWS meeting will held and when jobs will be posted on the Student Employment webpage. Please understand that being eligible for a FWS award does not guarantee on-campus employment. You will be required to interview for any job you are interested in applying for.

  • How many hours per week may I work?

      Freshmen are encouraged to work at most 10-15 hours per week. Upperclassmen may work up to 20 hours per week as required by the job performed. During periods when classes are not in session, students may work up to 29 hours per week. International students should inquire at the Study Away and International Education Office.

      Students are not allowed, under any circumstances, to work when one of their classes is in session.

  • How will I get paid?

      Once your begin working, you will enter the hours you work online through MyFurman. Your supervisor will show you how to use the system or contact the SEO. Students are paid on a bi-weekly pay schedule​. Student pay checks are deposited directly into the student's bank account. Students that have not established direct deposit will receive a paper check in their campus mailbox until direct deposit can be established.

  • Do I have to start work fall term?

      Some students want to begin work as soon as they arrive at Furman, while other students want more time to adjust to college life before getting a job. Whichever path you choose, the Student Employment Office will make every effort to help you find a job whenever you decide to work. However please be aware, that if you start working later in the year, there may not be any available on-campus jobs because jobs are filled during the beginning of a semester.  

  • What are my responsibilities as an FWS employee?

      Though your employer knows your primary concern at Furman is your studies, you must also be a responsible employee. As such, you will be expected to perform to the best of your ability, be punctual, dependable, and be professional when at the work place. Read the complete guidelines.

  • What if a problem occurs between an employee and a supervisor?

      Any problems that occur should be resolved between you and your supervisor as soon as possible. If such resolution is not possible, or if the problem persists, the Coordinator of Student Employment should be consulted.

America Reads/America Counts Tutoring FAQ

  • What is the America Reads/America Counts Tutoring Program?

      The AR/AC Program was established by former President Clinton to provide resources needed to help every American child to learn to read independently and well by the end of third grade, and to help every American child to improve their math skills from kindergarten through ninth grade. Tutors work one-on-one and in group settings with children in kindergarten through sixth grade. This program is only available to students that have federal work-study eligibility.

  • How much can I earn?

      The FWS amount in your aid package is the allotment of money that you may earn during the academic year.

  • How do I sign up for the program?

      At the beginning of the school year, all eligible students are emailed to inform them of the FWS Meeting that is schedule for sign-ups. Representatives from area elementary schools and YMCA programs will be available to present their programs to you. 

  • How do I schedule tutoring around my classes? You will tutor based on your class schedule and availability.

      Your tutoring schedule will be determined by you and the supervisor of the program you sign up for. You may tutor up to 10 hours per week; 20 hours in a two week period. (You may tutor 5 hours one week and 15 hours the next week as long as you do not go over 20 hours for the two week period.)

  • What is the pay?

      The current pay rate is $8.00 per hour and $11.00 for programs 30 minutes or more away from Furman.

  • How will I get to a program if I do not have a car?

      If you will need transportation, the Student Employment Office will provide you with a list of students (with their permission) who are willing to carpool and are assigned to the facility you are signed up for. It will be your responsibility to contact the students to schedule a ride based on both of your schedules and availability.

  • How do I report the hours I have worked?

      Time cards for this program are not online. Paper time cards will be provided to you by the supervisor of the program. They will explain how to fill out the paper time card. Once you and the supervisor have filled out the time card and signed it, the card will need to be dropped off to the Student Employment Office.

  • Is there a dress code?​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

      Yes, tutors follow the Greenville County Public Schools dress code; dressing in a professional manner at all time. Preferred dress by tutors is jeans, T-shirt and tennis/running shoes (no flip-flops).

Have more questions?

If you have questions about your financial aid package or work-study eligibility contact:

Financial Aid Office
Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.—5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday

For questions regarding how the work-study program operates contact:

Student Employment Office (located in the Financial Aid Office)
Phone: 864.294.3074
Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.—5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday


Connect with Admission

Furman is one of the nation's premier liberal arts and sciences universities. We offer our students The Furman Advantage—an over-arching approach to education that promises every student a four-year personalized pathway, a team of advisors and mentors, and the opportunity for an engaged learning experience that is tracked and integrated with the students' academic and professional goals.

Want more information about the admission process at Furman?

Contact us

Once you see our campus, making the right college decision will be so much easier.

Plan a visit

Undergraduate Evening Studies provides adults the opportunity to receive an education from one of the premier liberal arts universities in the nation.

Whether you are starting or continuing your education, or have been away from the classroom for a few months or several years, our program provides many services to assist you with accomplishing your educational and professional goals.

Apply now

Our graduate studies program is designed for the professional educator.

We know the challenges teachers and administrators face every day, and we are committed to helping you become a leader within your school system or district.

Apply now
  • Furman University