1. The committee considers any challenges to voting eligibility and recommends to the entire faculty a decision.
2. The committee interprets the meaning of the constitution, if any question arises, and submits its recommended construction to the faculty.
3. The committee, with the Chair of the Faculty, may recommend the establishment of ad hoc faculty committees, members of which are nominated by the Nominating Committee and elected by the faculty. (Nominations are also allowed from the floor.)
4. The committee studies questions of policies and procedures and makes assignments of issues to faculty committees when such assignments are necessary.
5. The committee may make suggestions to the administration concerning matters which may be considered by administrative committees.
6. The committee studies the role of the faculty in University governance.
7. The committee is responsible for recommending to the faculty needed changes in the constitution and bylaws.
8. The Policies and Procedures Committee regularly reviews for accuracy those policies classified as "Faculty" and revises them as needed. Revisions follows the procedure outlined in File 100.1. Faculty and administration are encouraged to submit to the chair of the committee suggestions regarding corrections, additions, and clarifications of Faculty policies.
9. Agenda items to be considered by or reported to the faculty shall be posted in advance and in accordance with the deadlines established by the Chair of the Faculty. When appropriate, motions proposed for faculty approval shall be accompanied by a written explanation that provides a rationale for the recommendation, as well as relevant background.
10. Each academic year, the Committee will select one/fifth of all Faculty policies for detailed review: policies will be selected by the Reviewed for Currency date (earliest date first) and the selected policies will be referred to the appropriate committee or office for review. The Office of Planning and Institutional Research will conduct a similar review of administrative policies.
a. Policies that are reviewed, but not changed, or policies that have non-substantial changes will bring about a change in the Reviewed for Currency date of the file.However, such reviews shall not bring about a change in the Adoption Date. Non-substantial changes include, but are not limited to, changes in title (e.g., from "Dean" to "Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean"), gender-specific wording, grammar, and punctuation.
b. For policies that are substantially changed, both the Reviewed for Currency date and the Adoption Date will be changed.
c. The Date of Origin will be unaffected by any review or change to an existing policy.