Faculty Status Committee
Annual Report, 2008-2009
To date, the Faculty Status Committee has met 16 times during the 2008-2009 academic session. An inventory of the committee’s activities over this time period follows:
1. Evaluated the files of 31 probationary faculty and recommended a merit category to the Dean of the Faculty for each of these faculty members.
2. Reviewed 7 candidates for tenure and 12 candidates for promotion. Our recommendations were forwarded to the Dean of the Faculty, Provost and to President.
3. Corresponded with the general faculty concerning the merit categories.
4. Recommended to the Dean of the Faculty, Provost and President that 3 faculty members be awarded the rank of Professor Emeritus or Emerita.
5. Revised memoranda and forms associated with the 2009-2010 faculty evaluation cycle.
6. Reviewed 23 files from the Policies and Procedures document.
7. Chair met with new faculty to discuss the FSC charge, with specific emphasis placed on issues related to tenure and promotion.
8. Chair sat with the Provost and Dean of the Faculty on a special session sponsored by Furman Chapter of AAUP to discuss the role of collegiality in the evaluation process.
9. Recommended to the Chair of the Faculty that the Instructional Development Consultants (IDCs) in the CTEL program be given faculty status as per Section 1 of the Faculty Constitution.
Respectfully submitted by the 2008-2009 Faculty Status Committee:
Bill Blaker, (BGY), David Bost (MLL), Nelly Hecker (ED), Anne Leen (CL), Ruby Morgan (MUS), and Paul Rasmussen, Chair (PSY)