Faculty Status Committee
Annual Report, 2005-2006
To date, the Faculty Status Committee has met 25 times during the 2005-2006 academic session. An inventory of the committee’s activities over this time period follows:
1. Evaluated the files of 168 faculty members and assigned each to one of four merit categories. These recommendations were forwarded to the Dean.
2. Reviewed 5 candidates for tenure and 9 candidates for promotion. Our recommendations were forwarded to the Dean.
3. Recommended salary adjustments based on an across-the-board component and percentage distribution among the four merit categories.
4. Reviewed and approved a letter sent to the faculty presenting the committee’s recommendations to the Dean for allocation of salary increases, faculty merit categories, and percentage salary increase in each category.
5. Recommended to the Dean that 3 faculty members be awarded the rank of Professor Emeritus.
6. Revised memoranda and forms associated with the 2006-2007 faculty evaluation cycle.
7. Reviewed 14 files from the Policies and Procedures manual. One file has been adopted by the faculty; 2 were deferred; 11 files are under revision and/or consideration.
8. Adopted a resolution honoring our deceased colleague Larry Kessler for his work on the committee. This resolution will be sent to his father and is appended to this annual report.
9. Discussed issues relating to the third year review, communication with and accountability to the faculty, and procedures for changing in the evaluation process. These issues resulted from an AAUP forum on April 25, 2006.
Respectfully submitted by the 2005-2006 Faculty Status Committee:
Bill Allen (MLL), Bob Chance (ART), Susan D’Amato (PHY), Bob Fray (MTH), Cleve Fraser, Chair (PS), Marian Strobel (HST)