Faculty Admissions Committee
Annual Report, 2008-09
The Admissions Committee met throughout the academic year focusing its attention on:
1. creation of a review and oversight process for prospective student-athletes categorized as marginal in collaboration with the Office of Admissions and the Department of Athletics. Committee members participated in actual interviews with recruits on some occasions.
2. maintaining close scrutiny of the demographics of the developing student class for 2009-10.
3. participating in the interviewing of scholarship candidates, with other invited faculty, for Lay, Duke, Hollingsworth and Townes scholarships.
4. assisting the new Director of Admissions and the Interim Vice President for Enrollment as they took over the admissions process.
The committee sends forward its recommendations for topics that merit further discussion. Among them are:
1. evolution of the marginal athlete review and admissions process and assessment of its impact.
2. evaluation of the demographics of the class of 2009-10 and strategies for further enhancement.
3. revisiting the issue of standardized testing and the use of results in the admissions process.
4. the continued development of strategies for faculty involvement in the entire admissions process.
Members of the 2008-09 committee were: Addison Howard and Melissa Mabry (student members), Michael Brodeur, David Gandolfo, Cinnamon Stetler, Paul Thomas, Dianne Vecchio, Owen McFadden with Bill Berg, Brad Pochard, and Barbara Foltz also serving.
The chair thanks all who served throughout the year.
Paul M. Cook II