Released April 2012
Bill and Scott at the Runner's World Expo, Boston 2012
FIRST® has developed training programs to help runners improve their race finish times. The details on how to use the programs effectively are described in Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster.
The revised edition of Run Less, Run Faster includes:
- Detailed training programs for the 5K, 10K, half-marathon and marathon
- A Novice Marathon Training program for first-time marathoners
- Training programs with distances in miles and kilometers
- Training paces for all workouts for runners who run a 5K between 16 and 40 minutes
- Training paces for track repeats, tempo and long runs
- Training paces in minutes/mile and minutes/kilometer
- Race prediction table with comparable performance times for the four race distances
- 5K Novice and Intermediate Training programs
- Boston Marathon Training Programs for all qualifying times based on the 2013 standards
- Functional strength training exercises for runners
- Stretching exercises for runners
- Nutritional advice for runners
- 12-week cross training workout schedules for 5K and 10K training
- 16-week cross training workout schedules for half-marathon and marathon training
- Tips for triathlon and ultramarathon training
- Responses to frequently answered questions from runners using the FIRST® training programs in the first edition of Run Less, Run Faster
The FIRST® training programs are based on results from FIRST® training research studies that showed runners are able to run successful road races by incorporating three quality runs a week into their overall training program.
FIRST® was featured in the August 2005 Runner's World. Click here to read the answers to frequently asked questions about the program.
"The Furman FIRST® training programs are the most detailed, well-organized, and scientific training programs for runners that I have ever seen. For many runners, especially those hard-pressed to find time for their workouts, the Furman FIRST® programs will also be the best."
-- Amby Burfoot, Executive Editor, Runner's World Magazine, 1968 Boston Marathon winner