Information Technology Services - Fred Miller, Chief Information Officer
Last Revised: 08/21/13
Title: Email Account Policy
Applicable: Furman University Faculty, Staff and Students
Contacts: IT Service Center ext.3277
Background: University Policy 072.1 defines the University’s Policy for electronic messaging. This department policy helps ITS staff understand how we define that University Policy’s description of “students, faculty, staff, and others” and their eligibility for a university provided email account.
Policy: All current Furman faculty, staff, undergraduate day, graduate, and undergraduate evening studies students will be given a university email account. The account will be maintained until the user is no longer a student, faculty, or staff member affiliated with the university.
All current Furman faculty, staff, undergraduate day, graduate, and undergraduate evening studies students will be given an email account which will be maintained by the university.
- Furman University does not offer email accounts to: non-current students, alumni, spouses, or any person without an entry in the University’s Ellucian Colleague administrative system showing a current relationship to the university.
- Upon retirement, and based on approval of the Chief Information Officer or Human Resources, faculty and staff will be given the option to retain their email account or an entry in the Furman electronic address book.
- All accounts will be created within 2 business days of receiving information from Human Resources, or a student enrolling in class.
- Any student, faculty or staff permanently leaving the university will have their account disabled immediately upon parting from the university.
- Departments that wish to retain the contents of an account of a previous employee must request such access from the Chief Information Officer and the Assistant Vice President for Human Resources.
- Accounts belonging to graduating seniors will be disabled thirty days after commencement.
Information Technology Services will not restore accounts or information from accounts for individuals who have permanently left the university.
- The Chief Information Officer must approve all other special requests.