Information Technology Services - Dr. Susan Dunnavant, Acting Chief Information Officer
Last Revised: 11/09/2016
Title: Learning Management System (LMS)
Applicable: Furman University (Students and Faculty)
Contacts: IT Service Center ext. 3277
Background: This policy addresses the implementation of a Learning Management System (LMS), an on-line system that allows students to participate in discussions, take tests, receive assignments on-line, and have access to class announcements. This policy states who is authorized to use the system, what may be placed on the system, as well as account and course creation and deletion specifications.
Policy: All current Furman faculty members are entitled to the creation of an LMS account, which will house on-line forums for each class they are currently teaching. All current Furman students are entitled to a LMS account if it is required for their classes. Staff members, whose jobs require them to use the LMS for faculty support reasons, are entitled to the creation of a LMS account.
Student, faculty, and staff will access their LMS account using their Furman network account and password.
- All current Furman faculty members receive an LMS account, which will house on-line forums for each class they are teaching. Staff members, whose jobs require them to use the LMS for faculty support reasons, are entitled to the creation of an LMS account.
- Furman ITS will populate an LMS course with enrolled students for each course and section scheduled by the Registrar's office.
LMS accounts will be deactivated at the time a person's network account is deactivated.
- Faculty members are responsible for creating and maintaining their own LMS archives. Archives should be conducted by the first week in July of every year. Information Technology Services will provide instruction for those that need help with the archiving process. Notification will be sent via e-mail to remind professors to archive their courses two weeks before the archive process should be completed. Backup restoration will not be performed for users that miss the archival period.
- All deactivated accounts will be deleted in bulk the third week in July of every year.
- Any user needing more than the standard LMS disk quota may make a special request to the IT Service Center for a quota increase. If space becomes limited, the archival process may be accelerated.
- Account requests will be processed within 48 business hours of receiving the request.
- Course requests will be processed within 48 business hours of receiving the request.
- As with any personal account, users must not share their username or password with anyone. All users are responsible for all material originating from their account and for complying with relevant University policies include policy 072.1 Electronic Messaging and policy 094.1 Harassment.
- Information Technology Services accepts no responsibility for procuring permission to post copyrighted materials placed in the LMS. That responsibility lies with the user placing the information in the LMS.
- The Chief Information Officer must approve all other special requests.