Information Technology Services
– Fred Miller, Chief Information Officer
Change Management Policy
IT Service Center ext. 3277
In order to better inform and prepare the campus community for routine maintenance of campus systems and the network, it has become necessary to create a reoccurring weekly maintenance period during which such changes will be made.
Information Technology Services reserves Wednesday mornings from midnight to 7am, and Saturday mornings from 6am to 10am to perform system and network maintenance.
1. The office of Information Technology Services reserves the following times each week for system and network maintenance:
- Wednesday mornings from midnight to 7am; and
- Saturday mornings from 6am to 10am.
2. The Chief Information Officer must approve any planned service outage scheduled outside the weekly maintenance windows.
3. Planned changes that may disrupt any campus information service must be documented with a Request for Change form (RFC). Requests to add a new service, or discontinue an existing service, also must be documented with an RFC, and appropriate change to the Service Catalog
4. Request for Change forms must document the following information regarding the proposed change:
- change requester and contact information,
date of the change request,
staff assigned to make the change,
justification for the change,
start date of the change,
time needed to complete the change, including time needed to revert a change if test procedures are not successful,
tasks to perform as part of the change, and tests to ensure successful completion,
a description of the restore plan if the change was not performed successfully, and
the date of the last known reliable back-up made before the change.
5. New and completed RFCs, as well as changes to the Service Catalog, will be reviewed and approved at the weekly Information Technology Services directors’ meeting.
6. The members of the campus community that will be affected by the change must be notified prior to the change being executed. Approved methods of notifying the campus community include:
- ITS blog,
Public Announcements (MyFurman),
- Student News (MyFurman),
- Tech Talk (OrgSync, MyFurman),
- IT Service Center (Office365),
- Staff Notices (MyFurman),
- Faculty News (MyFurman),
- The Green Room (Office365), and
Other forums, or notifications, as designated by the change review process.
7. The IT Services Coordinator will catalog and track completed RFC request forms.