Property Loss

The University's Risk Management Plan covers property owned by Furman University. Property coverage DOES NOT cover the personal property of students, faculty or staff.

Losses can include:
  • Fire
  • Flood
  • Lightning
  • Theft
  • Or other forms of physical damage
To submit a Property Loss Claim, contact Bernie Stanton at 294-3287.

The Property Loss Coverage portion works on a reimbursement basis. When a loss is experienced and before the claim can be submitted, the item(s) must be either repaired or replaced at the expense of the department which experienced the loss.

Property loss claims are subject to a $25,000 deductible for each event.

Auto Insurance

The University maintains Automobile insurance for its fleet. In the event of an accident, immediate notification should be made to Bernie Stanton at 294-3287.

Reimbursement will be based upon the estimate of repair, subject to a departmental deductible of $500.00 per occurrence. Older models may not have collision coverage.

Use of Personal Vehicles on University Business

When a personal vehicle is used for official university business, the driver may be reimbursed at the current university mileage reimbursement rate. This reimbursement factors in the cost for gas, oil, repairs, depreciation and insurance. In the event of an accident, the driver's personal auto insurance covering the vehicle is always primary. The University's insurance will cover in excess of primary coverage. There is no coverage for physical damage caused by vehicles owned by others.

Rental Car Coverage

Domestic: The University's insurance will cover the individual as well as the vehicle when the vehicle is rented within the course and scope of employment; therefore, employees should NOT purchase additional coverage provided by the rental company. Drivers should be certain that it is clearly shown on the rental contract that the rental is on behalf of Furman University. Any deductible will be the responsibility of the driver's department.

A South Carolina Insurance Identification Card which includes current university coverage information should be carried in the rental vehicle. This insurance card is available through the Travel Coordinator's office.

International: Purchase the maximum liability limits available from the rental company and full physical damage coverage on the vehicle. If possible, add the University as an additional insured.

15 Passenger Vans

Passenger vans (15 person) shall be driven only by persons at least 21 years of age who have been certified by the university. Certification includes a road test and a motor vehicle background check performed by University Police.
The certification process may take up to 3 weeks so travelers should plan accordingly.

Certificate of Insurance

A certificate of Insurance (COI) documents the existence and terms of insurance coverage. The purpose of the COI is to provide evidence that a party can satisfy various obligations such as paying liability losses, workers compensation benefits due its employees, or paying for loss or damage for which it is responsible. COI are for informational use only and are not considered a legal document. Furman University shall be named as additional insured on commercial general liability policies. The Risk Management Office also provides COI to document the University's insurance coverage. If your vendor requires a COI showing University coverage, please contact

All contractors and vendors are required to provide evidence of insurance coverage prior to commencing work on behalf of the university. Insurance coverage must be maintained for the full term of the contract and any extension.

Minimum coverage limits are as follows:
  • General Liability: $1,000,000 per occurrence
  • General Liability: $2,000,000 aggregate
  • Automobile Liability: $1,000,000
  • Workers Compensation: Statutory Limits 
The University reserves the right to require higher limits from a contractor or vendor for a particular project or event due to the nature of the event, project, venue or anticipated attendance. Examples of situations requiring higher limits of General Liability up to $5,000,000 excess coverage include:
  • Hazardous Waste Disposal Contractor
  • Charter Bus Company
  • Airplane Charter
  • General Contractor for Building Construction or Major Renovation
  • Large Special Events

Off - Campus Programs

University officials or employees who have responsibility for Furman programs, student activities, and courses that require an off-campus activity or event are responsible for assessing the risks involved and for collecting and maintaining files of Consent, General Release and Indemnity Agreement.  The most recent copy of the student travel waiver form is available at the MyFurman portal.
(Policy 367.5).

Consent, General Release, and Indemnity Agreements are not required for faculty and staff travel, Furman employees are adequately covered by insurance and this coverage includes General Liability, Foreign Liability, Excess Liability, and Workers' Compensation insurance.

Consent, General Release, and Indemnity Agreements are required any time a student leaves campus as part of some Furman related course, organization, or activity.  This includes, but is not limited to, internships, off campus research, courses involved in service learning, and class field trips.
Whenever an off-campus event or activity is required by a University official or employee, even though the event is not officially sponsored by the University, this requirement shall apply.


Connect with Admission

Furman is one of the nation's premier liberal arts and sciences universities. We offer our students The Furman Advantage—an over-arching approach to education that promises every student a four-year personalized pathway, a team of advisors and mentors, and the opportunity for an engaged learning experience that is tracked and integrated with the students' academic and professional goals.

Want more information about the admission process at Furman?

Contact us

Once you see our campus, making the right college decision will be so much easier.

Plan a visit

Undergraduate Evening Studies provides adults the opportunity to receive an education from one of the premier liberal arts universities in the nation.

Whether you are starting or continuing your education, or have been away from the classroom for a few months or several years, our program provides many services to assist you with accomplishing your educational and professional goals.

Apply now

Our graduate studies program is designed for the professional educator.

We know the challenges teachers and administrators face every day, and we are committed to helping you become a leader within your school system or district.

Apply now
  • Furman University