James B. Duke Library
Food and Drink Policy
The James B. Duke Library is a magnificent facility which reflects years of planning by students, faculty, staff, administrators and architects and millions of dollars in donations from the Duke Endowment, from trustees and friends of Furman, from foundations, and from the Furman community. As good stewards of this beautiful building, we require library users to adhere to the following regulations.
Food and drinks are welcome in the 24-hour study lounge at all times. Vending machines dispensing coffee, sodas and light snacks are located there.
To minimize the risk of damage to materials, furnishings and equipment, food and drinks are only permitted in most other parts of the library under limited conditions. Beverages in covered containers and small items of packaged food may be taken to study areas. Food and drinks are prohibited in the William Gilmore Simms Research Room in the Special Collections and Archives suite on the second floor. Coffee served in the StudioLab should not be taken out of that room.
- Drinks in covered containers or bottles
- Snacks from vending machines or other small packaged items
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Drinks in open cups
- Greasy, smelly, or messy foods (fast food, pizza, sandwiches, etc.)
- Food items and drinks are permitted in the Hamrick Study Lounge.
- Coffee served in the StudioLab should not be taken out of that room.
- No food or drink of any kind is permitted in the William Gilmore Simms Research Room.
We appreciate the assistance of the campus community in helping to keep the library clean.