What is the Furman University Digicenter?
The Furman Digicenter creates and enriches digital collections to be used for instruction. To this end, the Digicenter adds value to its collections by linking digital objects with related data, such as maps and timelines. To assist the faculty, the Digicenter will create collections by converting analog materials,including slides, print photographs, audio, and text - provided the materials do not infringe copyright provisions - and will customize the material to fit the instructor's teaching needs. Additionally, the Digicenter collaborates with the Center for Teaching and Learning to investigate and implement innovative digital technologies to enhance teaching and learning.
Digicenter Services include:
- Collaborating with faculty to enhance the effective integration of digital technologies for innovative teaching and learning;
- Digitizing analog materials (including slides, print photographs, audio, and text) whose copyright allows for such digitization;
- Assigning metadata to submitted digital objects;
- Organizing submitted digital objects and their metadata into accessible and easily usable collections;
- Adding value to submitted digital objects through linking to additional resources, mapping using GoogleEarth, developing timelines, etc.
The Digicenter's collections are built on and powered by LUNA Insight.
We work closely with other Library units, Information Technology Services, the Center for Teaching and Learning.
We are generally available Monday - Friday between 9 am and 4 pm. More detailed Digicenter hours and location information are available. Please e-mail the Digicenter or call us at 864.294.3733 if you have questions about our collections or services.