The WGSS interdisciplinary minor offers a meaningful way for students to group their elective courses in such a way as to focus on issues related to women, gender, and sexuality. To satisfy the requirements for the WGSS minor, the student must complete either WGS-230 or WGS-250 and at least four electives from three different departments from the list shown below.
One first year seminar may contribute to the minor when the topic has been deemed appropriate by the WGSS oversight committee. A seminar applied to minor requirements will not be considered for disciplinary distribution purposes.
Courses equivalent to WGSS offerings completed elsewhere, and independent study on an appropriate topic, may contribute to the minor no more than once each and must be approved by the WGSS oversight committee.
For course descriptions, see listings under individual departments. On occasion, special topics courses are offered that also satisfy the requirements for the minor.
- ART-252 Women and the Arts
- ANT-209 Gender in East Asia
- AST-255 Poverty, Gender and Development in India
- COM-412 International Women's Rhetoric
- COM-323 Race, Gender, Class in the Media
- ECN-233 Economics of Gender
- ENG-324 Women of Restoration Theater
- ENG-369 Gender in South Asian Literature and Film
- ENG-374 Stardom and Identity
- ENG-405 Studies in Gothic Literature
- ENG-452 Literary Feminism
- ENG-473 Gender in South Asian Literature and Film
- FYS-1134 A Woman's Place: Balancing Work and Family
- FYS-1144 Critical Identities Studies
- FYS-1172 Queer Economics
- FYS-1192 Sex in America 1950-1990
- FYW-1148 Southern Women: Black and White
- FYW-1159 Veils and Turbans: Genders and Modernities
- HST-215 Women and Gender in European History
- HST-231 History of Women in America
- HST-256 Gender History of South Asia
- HST-309 Women, War, Resistance
- PHL-312 Philosophy of Gender
- PSC-212 Women and Politics
- REL-317 Feminist Biblical Interpretation
- REL-323 Women, Gender, Islam
- REL-325 Women and Power in Hinduism
- REL-344 Black Liberation and Womanist Theology
- REL-360 Women and Religion in the West
- REL-363 Religion and Sexuality
- SOC-232 Sociology of Contemporary Families
- SOC-242 Sociology of Gender
- SPN-445 Latin American Women's Literature
- SPN-460A Readings in Spanish American Literature
- WGS-230 Issues in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- WGS-240 Women in Science
- WGS-250 Introduction to Queer Theory and Sexuality Studies
A student may declare a WGSS minor by filling out the Field of Study Declaration Form [PDF] on the Academic Records site. An advisor for the minor will be assigned to the student after the paperwork has been processed. The form may also be filled out retroactively or after any WGSS course has already been taken. Courses for the minor can be taken pass/fail if they are not for major or General Education requirement credit.
For more information about the WGSS minor, contact one of the co-chairs.