Our office can help you design a clinical experience that meets the requirements of a health professional program or school. We can help you develop a volunteer, observation, or research experience, and help you connect with an organization in your hometown. Here are some general guidelines to get you started:
Identify organizations that interest you
- Contact local health care professionals in your hometown to inquire about programs for undergraduates.
- Compile a list of physicians and health care practitioners of whom you, your family, or your friends may be patients or may know personally.
- Research possible experiences by reading online patient reviews and asking your network of family and friends for recommendations.
Define your goals and objectives for the experience
- Keep in mind the health career you wish to pursue, or if you are unsure, the health careers you might wish to explore.
- Set concrete goals to achieve, such as the number of hours you would like to obtain.
- Determine the setting you wish to work in (clinical or non-clinical).
Create a resume and cover letter
- In your resume, describe relevant skills and coursework.
- In your cover letter, state goals and objectives.
- If you need assistance with your resume or cover letter contact the Malone Career Center in the Trone Student Center.
Deliver your information
- Deliver all credentials in person.
- Dress professionally.
- Obtain a contact name for a follow up.
- Wait at least one week before making a follow up phone call.