Thomas O. Buford
Louis G. Forgione Professor Emeritus
Department of Philosophy
Ph.D. Boston University (1963)
B.D. Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminar (1958)
B.A. North Texas State University (1955)
Areas of Specialization:
Metaphysics, Epistemology, Philosophy of Education
Phone: (864) 294-3139
- Thomas O. Buford. 2011. Know Thyself: An Essay in Social Personalism (Lanham: Lexington Books).
- Thomas O. Buford. 2008. Trust, Our Second Nature: Crisis, Reconciliation and the Personal (Lanham: Lexington Books).
- Thomas O. Buford. 1995. In Search of a Calling: The Student Search for Identity in College (Macon: Mercer University Press).
- Thomas O. Buford. 1991. Ambushed on the Road to Glory: Finding the Way Through Jesus' Parables (Greenville: Smyth and Helweys).
- Thomas O. Buford. 1983. Personal Philosophy: The Art of Living (NY: Holt, Rinehart and Winston).
- 2003. What Really Matters, 2nd. Ed. (Macon: Smyth and Helwys).
- 2002. Personalism Revisited: Proponents and Critics (with Harold Oliver) (New York: Rodopi).
- 2001. What Really Matters (Macon: Smyth and Helwys).
- 1991. Studies in Personalist Philosophy: Proceedings of the Conference on Persons (with Charles Conti)
- 1981. Philosophy for Adults (Lanham: University Press of America).
- 1975. Contemporary Studies in Philosophical Idealism (with John Howie) (Cape Cod: Claude A. Stark Publishers).
- 1970. Essays on Other Minds (Urbana: University of Illinois Press).
- 1969. Toward a Philosophy of Education (New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston).
Honors and Awards
- 2008. Special edition of Personalism, Science, Philosophy, and Theology was published devoted to my work.
- 2007. Phi Beta Kappa, South Carolina Gamma (Furman Chapter)
- 2004. Received the Burdine-Freeman Philosopher of the Year award.
- 2000. Scholarship in Philosophy at Furman University established in my name and two of my colleagues
- 1999. Inducted into the Martin Luther King, Jr. Colleguium of Scholars at Morehouse College
- 1998. Appointed the Louis G. Forgione University Chair at Furman University
- 1988. Inducted into the Academy of Distinguished Alumni of Boston University
Works in Progress
- I am currently working on a book dealing with the personhood of Jesus Christ from the perspective of social personalism.