Sunday June 24 - Thursday June 28, 2018
A joint program of Furman Music and the non-profit Greenville Jazz Collective
, the camp is a unique experience designed to help high school students
of all levels fuel their jazz performance skills (middle school students considered by recommendation
). Students will take daily classes in jazz theory, improvisation, and jazz history, and perform in a big band and/or jazz combo. The camp includes evening faculty recitals, social events and a final student concert. Students of all instruments can apply, particularly those who play saxophone, trombone, trumpet, piano, guitar, bass (electric and/or acoustic), and drums.
Private lessons are available for an additional fee of $30 per 1/2 hour lesson - limit of 2
New this year! 5 night residential program for students who live too far away to commute.
- Campus Map.
- Airport: GSP Greenville-Spartanburg International
8:00 Camp Meeting
8:30 Big Band Rehearsal / Rhythm section special topics class
10:00 Jazz History / Listening class
11:00 Improvisation Class
12:00 Lunch / free time / lessons
1:30 Combo rehearsal
3:30 Master classes (separated by instrument)
4:30 Big Band rehearsal / Rhythm section special topics class
7 - 9pm Evening rehearsals and events.
Closing concert: 3pm, Thursday, June 28. Free Admission. Public invited.
The camp director is Dr. Matt Olson,
Director of Jazz Studies and Associate Professor of Saxophone at Furman
University. All instruction at the camp is provided by members of the
Greenville Jazz Collective, a renowned non-profit organization that
promotes jazz education and performance in the Upstate. Through its big
band, original music series, guest artists, camps, school visits, and
festivals, the GJC is the premier jazz organization in Greenville.
HOW TO REGISTER
>>REGISTER via Eventbrite (Open February 15 - April 30)
- Boarder Cost: $530
- Commuter Cost: $410
- Optional private lessons: $30 per half hour, limit of 2
- Middle School teacher recommendation form (required if not a high school student - please obtain approval using this form before completing on-line camp registration)
- Complete the on-line application hosted on Eventbrite. All card payments are charged a processing fee.
- Check or Money Order: Complete the on-line application. Mail checks to address below, payable to FURMAN UNIVERSITY. Students are not accepted until payment is received.
Furman Jazz Camp
Furman University Music Dept
3300 Poinsett Hwy
Greenville, SC 29613
- $100 non-refundable after April 1.
- $200 non-refundable after May 1.
- June 1: Scholarship payments due to Furman, checks payable to FURMAN UNIVERSITY and mailed to camp address below. Scholarship funds may be used for
private lesson fees.
- NO REFUNDS after June 1.
Need a bit of financial assistance? The Greenville Jazz Collective would like to help. Contact Brad Jepson for more information
or call 864-214-6810