Dedicated in 1998, this technology-filled addition to the Daniel Music Building houses rehearsal space for the choral ensembles, storage for robes and music, multimedia classrooms, our reference/research library and media center, MAC computer lab, recording console and space for event receptions.
DuPre Rhame Foyer
Nan Trammell Herring, 1907 - 1996, (class of '29) was an inspiring
communicator, caring teacher, dedicated pastor's wife, loving mother,
loyal friend, committed missionary and faithful witness for her Lord.
The Pavilion was named in her honor and provided by Gordon Rae Herring
'65 and Sarah Weaver Herring '66 and by other alumni and friends of
Three portraits are seen in Rhame foyer: Nan Trammell Herring, as pictured and described above; Dr. DuPre Rhame, founder of Furman Singers in 1946 and Furman Singers director until 1970; and Dr. Bingham Vick Jr., (right) director of Furman Singers from 1970 to 2010.
The plaque next to the Herring portrait describes the cherished choral tradition of "Brown Eyes."
Sung at the close of every Furman Singers concert, "Brown Eyes" was a
favorite folksong that Nan Trammell Herring learned while attending
Greenville Women's College in the late 1920's. She later introduced the song
to the campus at a basketball halftime. DuPre Rhame, director of the Men's
Glee Club, arranged and copyrighted "Brown Eyes" in 1935.
The beautiful stained glass window on display in Rhame foyer
was presented to the Music Department by members of the class of 1956 in
recognition of their 50th reunion. Relocated to the Herring Music
Pavilion in 2006, the leaded window originally hung in Judson Alumni
Hall, completed in 1900. Two metal sculptures were presented to the Music Department by Irwin Belk of Charlotte: one is Viola, located in Rhame foyer, the other, Harp, located outside at the sidewalk entry.