Since 2008, OIRS has directed a number of different competitive federal and private initiatives including:
- three NIH-INBRE grants as part of the SC-IDeA network (2005-2010; 2010-2015, 2015-2020)
- an NSF-RII cooperative agreement as part of a SC-EPSCoR Track I Award (2009-2015, renewal in preparation)
- an NSF S-STEM Scholarships Award (2012-2017)
- two Merck/AAAS Undergraduate Research Grants at the interface of Biology and Chemistry (2005-2008; 2009-2012), and
- an Undergraduate Science Education (USE) award from the HHMI, The Howard Hughes Medical Institute (2008-2012).