Hilary Kalisman graduated from Brown University, Phi Beta Kappa, Magna Cum Laude, with a BA in Middle Eastern Studies. Recently a visiting postdoctoral fellow at Harvard University, Dr. Kalisman completed her Ph.D. at the University of California Berkeley in May 2015. Her research investigates education, political culture, colonialism and governance in the modern Middle East with a focus on historical contingencies, such as the unrealized possibilities for representative governance in the Middle East. Her teaching underscores paths not taken as well as diverse viewpoints.
Presentations and Invited Talks
- "The American University of Beirut and the British Mandates" with Chris Gratien, Huma Gupta and Nir Shafir. Ottoman History Podcast, No. 213, March 2016. http://www.ottomanhistorypodcast.com/2016/03/AUB-british-mandate.html
- "Schooling the State: A Transnational History of Public Education and Governance in the 20th Century Middle East"
The Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Harvard University, March 2016
- "Reading, Writing, Revolution: Educators in the Interwar Middle East"
The Watson Institute, Brown University, March 2016
- "Teachers into Ministers: A History of Public Education and Regime Stability in the Middle East"
The Harvard Kennedy School of Government, December 2015
- "Subversive Teachers and the Limits of Rebellion: Government Schooling across the Interwar Middle East"
The Middle East Studies Association, Annual Meeting, November 2015
- "Local and Colonial Educators in the Mandates for Iraq and Palestine: Contested Expertise within National and International Frameworks"
"Experts and Expertise in the League of Nations Mandates: Figures, Fields and Tools" International Conference INALCO (Paris)/Institut universitaire de France/Université Jean Moulin– Lyon3/Institut français du Proche-Orient (Ifpo), March 2015
- "Learning Exile: Palestinian Students and Educators Abroad 1940-1957"
The Middle East Studies Association Annual Meeting, November 2014
- "'The Creation of World-Mind': British Civil Servants, Education, and the Mandates for Iraq and Palestine"
American Historical Association Annual Meeting, (Panel Organizer), January 2014
- "Teachers into Ministers: Palestinian and Jordanian Educators 1917-1958"
The Middle East Studies Association Annual Meeting, October 2013
- "'Are They Educating Their Pupils for a World in which They are To Be First or Second?': Government Schools and Citizenship in the Mandates for Mesopotamia(Iraq) and Palestine"
Sponsored by the Syrian Studies Association
The Middle East Studies Association Annual Meeting, November 2012