The Chair should make department staff and faculty aware of development opportunities and encourage their attendance when appropriate.
- The Department of Continuing Education, through its Center for Corporate and Profession Development, in conjunction with the Human Resources Department, offers the “Furman University Leadership Academy.” The 2009 program includes sessions on:
- How to Thrive and Not Just Survive in 2009
- Effective Media Relations
- Cutting Edge Employee Relations Practices
- Igniting Commitment: Engaging Employees for Breakthrough Performance
- Successful Meetings that Obtain Results
- Emotions in the Workplace: Leading with Emotional Intelligence
- Time for a Little R&R: Employee Reward and Recognition
- Creativity and Innovation: Unleash Your Full Potential
- Interviewing Skills for Managers
- Coaching and Counseling: Bringing Out the Best in You and Me
- Computing and Information Systems (C&IS) offers training and support on standard software used at Furman.
- The CCLC (ground floor of Library) has student consultants that can help faculty and staff learn to use the latest technology, particularly web-based and multi-media.
- If specialized training is needed, departments may pay for staff to attend off-campus workshops and seminars for training in particular skills.