Writing Specialist Services
Dr. Betsy Craig, Writing
Specialist at Furman, is here to help students with academic writing challenges.
- One-on-one academic writing support for students needing help with specific language issues such as grammar, mechanics, and punctuation to enhance clarity, cohesion, and conciseness.
- Workshops for academic skills such as listening, note-taking, reading, speaking, presentation, pronunciation, and academic vocabulary for English as a second language learners.
- Faculty support for classroom writing instruction in common areas of difficulty for college writers including: paraphrasing/summarizing, plagiarism avoidance, subject/verb agreement, pronoun/antecedent agreement, verb tense consistency, and stylistic devices.
This office is also where students will come for
plagiarism tutorials when in violation of Furman's academic integrity policies.
How to Make an Appointment
be made with Dr. Craig by accessing her calendar via Success@Furman.
- Log in to MyFurman.
- Click on the
- Once in Success@Furman, click on the Services tab.
- Then click on the Center for Academic Success.
- Scroll down until you see Dr. Craig's information.
- Click on Schedule an Appointment.
Her office hours are Monday through Friday:
- 9:00AM to 1:00PM
- 2:00PM to 4:00PM
If you need to see Dr. Craig outside of these hours, please, contact
her directly via email at email@example.com.
Before You Meet with Dr. Craig
Dr. Craig for writing support in the Center for Academic Success (002C Duke
Library, Ground Floor), you need to send an electronic copy by email attachment in
the form of a Word document (not a PDF) prior to
The document should be double-spaced to allow for editing comments. An electronic
copy may be uploaded to Box to facilitate any collaborative editing.