When you major in business or accounting, your educational experience is not limited to the classroom. You will meet talented and passionate students from across the globe who will expose you to new ideas, and challenge your way of thinking. If you want to expand that network, you'll find plenty of opportunities in our student organizations.
Current Furman Students
Furman students interested in the Accounting major or the Business Administration major should contact the Chair of the Business and Accounting Department (Dr. Virginia Gerde at email@example.com) to schedule an informational meeting. Students are encourage to do this as soon as possible to ensure they complete the necessary prerequisites by the end of their sophomore year.
Requirements to declare an accounting major
If you are interested in accounting, we strongly recommend you:
- Arrange to speak with an accounting professor about courses, your career interests, and graduate school programs
- Take ACC-111 within your first three semesters at Furman
To declare as an Accounting major, please contact the BAC Chair (Dr. Virginia Gerde, at firstname.lastname@example.org) to schedule a meeting to discuss the courses, scheduling, and other opportunities. You may declare as early as your first year and as late as the first week of your junior year.
Requirements to declare a business administration major
If you are interest in business, we strongly recommend you do each of the following:
- Arrange to speak with the BAC Chair (Dr. Virginia Gerde, at email@example.com) as early as possible for initial advising on course scheduling. Your name will also be placed on an interested student list and you will receive timely information on the application process, course changes, meeting, important dates, and question and answer sessions.
- Begin taking Business Block prerequisites. Two of the following four prerequisites must be successfully completed by January 15 of your sophomore year.
- ECN 111 Introduction to Economics
- ACC 11 Financial Accounting Principles
- ECN 225 Statitistics for Economics and Business
- MTH 120 Introduction to Statistics
- MTH 145 Calculus for Life and Social Science
- MTH 150 Ananlytic Geometry/Calculus I
- Attend information sessions on how to access the application site on Moodle and fill out the application. Only those students whose names are on the interested student list will receive notice of the sessions.
- Submit application between November 1 and January 15 of your sophomore year.
- Successfully complete at least two of the four prerequisites by the end of the application period (January 15). The application consists of an unoffical transcript, a one-page resume, and a short essay on your interest in business.
By March 1, students will be notified of their selection. The selected students will then meet with the BAC Chair to declare a major. Once a Block semester has been identified, Block semester changes are highly discouraged. If space is available, semester change requests will be considered, but there is no guarantee. It is the students' responsibility to complete all prerequisites prior to the start of their assigned Business Block. Failure to take and pass the prerequisites will result in the student losing a seat in the Block and thus the opportunity to be a Business Administration major.
If you are interested in learning more about the accounting profession, become a member of the Accounting Society. This student group hosts a number of guest speakers, and provides students with an opportunity to network with professionals. Join the Accounting Society.
Interested in a career in investment management, private equity or investment banking? Join our Investments Club. This organization provides students with an opportunity to manage real-world assets and learn vital skills that can be utilized in the financial sector.
Join the Investments Club.
Every year, we recognize exceptional graduating seniors for their outstanding work. Each honor comes with a cash reward to help offset educational expenses. View our awards.