Individualized Curriculum Program (ICP)
Students who have educational goals that cannot be met by the current majors and concentrations offered at Furman may propose an individualized curriculum program. Students who are interested in this option should meet with faculty who are knowledgeable about the student’s proposed area of study in order to get advice on possible courses to include in the proposed major. In addition, students should research academic programs (both undergraduate and graduate) at other universities and also talk with professionals in the field of interest for further input in creating the program of study.
Developing an ICP proposal is an iterative process that involves the student, his/her advisor, department chairs from the departments in which the proposed courses are taught, and members of the Individualized Curriculum Program Committee. In preparing the proposed program, the student should keep in mind the following:
- Typically, a minimum of a 2.50 GPA is required.
- The proposed individualized curriculum program should be consistent with Furman’s liberal arts philosophy.
- The program should contain thematically related courses that will meet the educational goals of the student.
- Individualized curriculum programs should not be used to concentrate work in a narrowly pre-professional way or to avoid certain courses in established major programs.
- The ICP may replace a traditional major, but students pursuing this option are still expected to complete all other graduation requirements.
- Generally, it will be to a student’s advantage to apply to the program no later than the conclusion of the sophomore year.
The ICP Proposal instructions and deadlines can be downloaded here
The ICP Proposal form can be downloaded here.
Students with an approved ICP who want to request a change to their program of study must submit the ICP Proposal for Requesting Change in Study form which can be downloaded here.
Members of the Individualized Curriculum Program Committee for 2012-2013:
Dr. Bruce Clemens, Chair
Mr. Carl Bower
Dr. Bob Chance
Dr. Renee Chosed
Dr. Bruce Clemens
Ms. Maria Morrison
Dr. Marianne Pierce
Dr. Ilka Rasch
Dr. Aaron Simmons
Dr. K. Yildirim