The chemistry program is accredited by the American Chemical Society (ACS). ACS accredited degrees are available in three tracks of study: chemistry, biochemistry and environmental chemistry. A program of study culminating in ACS undergraduate certification is required of all candidates for the Bachelor of Science degree with a major in chemistry. You must complete one of the following tracks:


  • CHM-075, 110, 115, 120, 220, 230, 240, 310, 330, 340 and 502,
  • at least two courses from the following: CHM-410, 420, 430, 440, 450, 460, 470 or 471
  • MTH-150, 151, and 160, and
  • PHY-111 and 112

Environmental Chemistry

  • CHM-075, 110, 115, 120, 220, 230, 240, 
310, 330, 340 and 502,
  • CHM-440,
  • MTH-150, 151, and 160,
  • PHY-111 and 112, and
  • two courses in biology or earth and environmental sciences, approved in advance by the department


  • BIO-221,
  • CHM-075, 110, 115, 120, 220, 230, 240, 310, 330, 460, 465, and 502,
  • at least one more chemistry course numbered 400 or greater,
  • MTH-150, 151, and another mathematics course, typically MTH-241, approved in advance by the department, and
  • PHY-111 and 112

Participation in the annual summer undergraduate research program is accepted in lieu of the required CHM-501 or 502.

You must also write a paper based
 on your research or independent study and present the work to a faculty committee. Papers prepared in the summer undergraduate research program may meet this requirement. The research performed to meet the required CHM-502 requirement for the biochemistry and environmental chemistry track must have a component related to your desired area of certification. These projects must have prior approval from the department. We urge you to schedule mathematics and physics courses prerequisite to upper-level chemistry courses as early as possible.

If you wish to pursue a career in teaching you must complete BIO-111, MTH-150 and 151, PHY-111 and 112, and EDU-111, 120, 221, 350, 454, 460, 472, and EDEP-670 in addition to the prescribed courses in the major. The requirements for certification (teaching internship) will be completed on a post-baccalaureate, graduate credit basis, and you’ll become eligible for certification at the end of fall term following graduation. Refer to the Education section of the Catalog for specific requirements for admission 
to the Teacher Education Program.

Connect with Admission

Furman is one of the nation's premier liberal arts and sciences universities. We offer our students The Furman Advantage—an over-arching approach to education that promises every student a four-year personalized pathway, a team of advisors and mentors, and the opportunity for an engaged learning experience that is tracked and integrated with the students' academic and professional goals.

Want more information about the admission process at Furman?

Contact us

Once you see our campus, making the right college decision will be so much easier.

Plan a visit

Undergraduate Evening Studies provides adults the opportunity to receive an education from one of the premier liberal arts universities in the nation.

Whether you are starting or continuing your education, or have been away from the classroom for a few months or several years, our program provides many services to assist you with accomplishing your educational and professional goals.

Apply now

Our graduate studies program is designed for the professional educator.

We know the challenges teachers and administrators face every day, and we are committed to helping you become a leader within your school system or district.

Apply now
  • Furman University