The Theatre Arts Department has been a staple of the liberal arts curriculum on campus for over 75 years. And part of that curriculum is the Furman University Theatre main stage season that entertains, educates, and engages thousands of students and patrons each year. We need your help to keep the tradition of theatre alive and well at Furman! How can you help? Read on.
THE POOLE ENDOWED FUND
You can donate
directly to the Theatre Arts Department! Donations to the John Terry Poole & Sarah Joan Moyer-Poole Endowed Fund
provide assistance for Theatre Arts majors including new equipment & supplies, maintenance & upkeep of our aging facilities, and planting the seeds for a new Playhouse (which has been our "temporary home" since 1969).
FURMAN THEATRE GUILD FUND
Donations to our Furman Theatre Guild Fund can help us with our operating budget including:
- Sponsorship of Main Stage shows to support guest artist designers and directors.
- Support for student travel to professional conferences and Study Away.
- Database management software.
- Endowed scholarship fund for Theatre Arts majors.
- Much-needed repairs & renovations in The Playhouse.
- Support for costumes, sets, lights, props, sound, and many other expenses to create live theatre!
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO PUT ON A SHOW?
The production budget for each show varies year to year, but costs continue to rise. Included in every production budget is the season brochure, printing costs for flyers, posters, and banners (which we produce in house), costumes, scenery, props, publicity, production photography, dinners for company members on extended rehearsals days or double show days, musicians, and royalties among other show-specific costs that might develop. Here is an overview of the costs of our last three seasons:
||Pomp & Circumstance $13,400
||These Shining Lives
|The Imaginary Invalid
||Book of Days
|The Sweetest Swing
|The Threepenny Opera $19,677
|God of Carnage $5,045
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
Become a Season Subscriber
- making a commitment to attend the entire season shows us you value what we do! You can donate when you purchase tickets through our online ticketing system with Arts People, and the money will go directly to the Theatre Arts Department! You can also donate to the Poole Endowed Fund or the Furman Theatre Guild Fund through the development office (just be sure to designate your gift to us). Or you can sponsor a show - your $5,000 can go a long way - which can get your name as a headliner and special benefits that no other patrons receive. Contact Mickie Spencer
if you want to sponsor a show this season!
PARTNERS IN THE ARTS INITIATIVE
In 2011, Furman was awarded a $2 million grant from the Duke Endowment
in order to support the departments of Art, Music, and Theatre. We're still reaping the benefits of this grant, but the money won't last forever and was never intended to support facilities needs on campus, which is why we need your help now