International Connection Program
Have you noticed all of the international students on campus?
In Fall 2013 Furman will have more international students on campus than EVER before.
The International Connection Program launches in Fall 2013 and will serve as the mechanism to partner all incoming international students with a Furman student. This is your chance to make a difference in an international student's life and help ease the transition into college life, Greenville, and the United States. It takes each student a different amount of time to adapt to the culture. By building these friendships the “home away from home” becomes more like a home because of the people, rather than the location.
Responsibilities of domestic student
- Submit an application before March 13, 2013
- Attend an interview
- Attend an intercultural training in the month of April for all ICP students (April 10, 6-9 PM)
- Communicate with their partner throughout the summer via Facebook, email, twitter, etc.
- Move into housing early to attend the ICP welcome event (1 day prior to freshmen orientation)
- Make communication with their partner at least once a week during the first semester via text, phone call, email, etc.
- Meet with their partner for coffee, tea, lunch in the DH at least once a month during the academic year
- Attend as many of the ICP sponsored events as possible throughout the academic year
Role of domestic student
- Friend: Be a support and connector to Furman social life, resources on campus, and offer an ear to listen. You are possibly the one student with which the incoming international student has begun to build a relationship, so know that you may play a great part in connecting them to Furman. You will not necessarily be their best friend, but you will help them to feel comfortable at Furman while they are making more friends in a natural way.
- Teacher: A lot of these students have never travelled to the U.S., so they are new to the American, South Carolina, and Greenville culture. Have patience with them and teach them about your family, culture, friends, etc. They will learn a lot about Furman and Greenville from you.
- Student: Each international student comes from a completely different background; different country, family situation, language, etc. By partnering with an international student, you will have the chance to learn about their culture first-hand. It offers an opportunity to immerse yourself in their culture while studying here at Furman.
Who is the ideal domestic student to participate in ICP?
- he/she has an interest in international issues
- he/she has the desire to help students transition into their first year at Furman University
- he/she is willing to make time to commit to ICP activities
- he/she has the desire to learn about a new culture
- he/she demonstrates patience in day-to-day life
- he/she wants to get to know an international freshmen student!
Benefit to domestic student:
- Great resume builder
- Fun events to attend throughout the school year
- Satisfaction of knowing that you have helped someone transition into Furman
- Opportunity to learn about a new culture
- Lifelong friendships around the world
CURRENT FURMAN STUDENTS:
Application has closed for the 2013-14 academic year.
Please contact email@example.com with questions.
All incoming international students will be matched with a ICP partner and do not need to apply.