Poteat is named for Edwin McNeill Poteat who was Furman's president from 1903 to 1918. Before coming to Furman, Poteat was a pastor. He established the Bachelor of Science degree and separated biology and chemistry into two departments. Poteat was very supportive of student societies and clubs. Quaternion, leadership society was founded during Poteat's tenure. The Hornet, weekly newspaper, was established and intercollegiate athletics were revived. In addition to working closely with the students, Poteat also established a strong and dedicated faculty.
Floor Layout: Poteat Base
| Poteat 100
| Poteat 200
| Poteat 300
** WARNING: Diagrams in the floor layouts are not to scale.
Singles: 9' x 12'
Doubles: 14' x 15'
Triples: 14' x 15' (includes a built-in dresser, additional built-in closet and bunked beds)
Singles: 3' x 4'6" (1)
Doubles: 3' x 4'6" (2)
Singles: 4'4" wide x 6'3" high
Doubles: 7'9" wide x 6'3" high
Desk: 42"w x 24"d x 30"h (natural finish)
Mattress: 36" x 80" (extra-long)
Dresser: 30"w x 24"d x 30"h (natural finish)
Chair: 18"w x 18"d x 32"h (natural finish)
There is a hall bath equipped with private showers and dressing areas.
- 2 extra-long single beds
- 2 desks
- 2 desk chairs
- 2 dressers with three drawers
- 1 lavatory sink with medicine cabinet
- Closets in the double rooms have adjustable shelving, drawer, and hanging rod system
- Carpeted floor
- Venetian blinds
- Overhead light
- Large open-air porch located at the end of each building
- Study rooms located on ground floor of Geer and Poteat Halls
- Each room is equipped with a Microfridge (combination refrigerator/freezer/microwave unit)