Blackwell is named for the 8th Furman president who took office on February 1, 1965, Gordon Williams Blackwell. He graduated from Furman and went on to receive a Masters from UNC and a Masters and Ph.D. from Harvard. Dr. Blackwell taught at Furman, UNC, and was president of Florida State before being recruited back to his alma mater. While he was president, the Watkins Student Center (now University Center), Daniel Music Building, science building and the PAC were all built. The bell tower replication was placed at the lake and the three term academic calendar was established.
|"When I think of freshman year and Furman, I think of Blackwell, and how
awesomely close I was with my hall, and the majority of the building,
which is unheard of elsewhere. Blackwell also has this beautiful Shutter
Island sound whenever you swipe into the back door- trust me, no other
door has such a distinct welcome!" - Morgan '14
"Although upon first glance, Blackwell may seem small, it is an incredibly efficient use of space and an unrivaled living experience. As only those who have lived there know, Blackwell allows for a close hall community where wonderful friendships are formed!" - Mary Grace '13
"Blackwell is incredible because you get to know everyone else around you so well because doors are always open! Plus, E-Field is your front lawn and there is nothing better! My two years there (yeah, I went back) were my favorite at Furman." - Martin '11
Floor Layout: Blackwell Base
| Blackwell 100
| Blackwell 200
| Blackwell 300
** WARNING: Diagrams in the floor layouts are not to scale.
(Blackwell rooms not carpeted)
Singles - 10' x 12' (total room size)
8' x 7' (actually floor space)
Doubles - 12' x 14' (total room size)
7'6"x 14 (actual floor space)
Singles: 3' x 3'
Doubles: 3' x 3' (2)
4' wide x 6'3 high
4' wide x 5' high (300 level only)
Desk tops: 22" x 43"
Mattress: 35" x 80" (extra-long twin)
Dresser top: 58" x 23 5/8"
Closet shelf: 12" x 36"
Storage height under bottom bed: 10"
There is a hall bath equipped with private showers and dressing areas.
- 1 set of extra-long bunk beds
- 2 built-in desks
- 2 desk chairs (available upon request)
- 1 built in dresser with mirror (6 drawers per student)
- 2 closets
- Venetian blinds
- Because of room design, lofts CANNOT be used in this building
- Built in furnishings provide extra storage space
- There is storage over closet area.
- Each desk has three drawers and three shelves over the desk, plus storage above shelves
- Each room is equipped with a desk light, a light over the dresser mirror, and an overhead light
- Volleyball, basketball courts and a large playing field located on the west side of Blackwell Hall
- Large open-air balcony located at middle of each floor
- Each room is equipped with a Microfridge (combination refrigerator/freezer/microwave unit)