Mission and Philosophy Statement
Housing and Residence Life serves as a bridge to interdependent living, global stewardship, responsible decision-making, and personal growth. Housing and Residence Life encourages student engagement and development in support of the University's engaged learning objective.
- Students are the center of our educational process.
- Residents develop best in safe, comfortable and attractive housing.
- Residents should have a staff that is capable of role modeling appropriate behaviors that supports them with their living experience.
- We must provide residents with programs and activities that support the development of the whole person through fulfilling our nine learning outcomes - civility, social responsibility, healthy behaviors, diversity appreciation, realistic self-appraisal, intellectual growth, effective communication, meaningful interpersonal relationships, and sustainability.
- Staff members respect the uniqueness of each individual resident.
- Student leadership promotes a strong sense of community.
- Established and consistently enforced parameters are in the best interest of residents and their living environment.
- Staff members must collaborate with faculty, students and other staff.
- The routine assessment of our programs, services and policies is essential to the high-quality stewardship of the University's resources.
Residence Life Purpose
Furman University’s Residence Life Program is a co-curricular partner to the academic and student experience. By fostering positive relationships and promoting a safe, healthy, and open environment we prepare our residents for their immediate and post collegiate future.