New Technologies and Services
Information Technology Services (ITS) strives to provide timely and cost-effective access to information technology. ITS evaluates potential new technology solutions to determine how these solutions may fit with our current catalog of services
. If you are considering purchasing or leasing technology hardware, software or service, we'd like to work with you to help you make the best decision. Factors ITS considers when evaluating potential new technologies, or technology services, include:
- Is this a technology or service that cannot be provided internally? Have we considered the alternatives? Has an RFP process been used to select the vendor? Is this service from a ITS designated preferred technology vendor?
- Price is important, but we also need to consider support costs. There may be on-campus support costs even if you are considering using an off-campus technology service. For off-campus services we also look at service levels provided. Are back-ups, and disaster recovery, specified? What recourse is there if service levels are not met? Are there caps on annual cost increases?
Campus Internet bandwidth
- Are most of the users of the service off-campus? If most of the service users are on campus, that would tend to favor hosting the service on campus.
Privacy and security
- does the service require confidential University information or personally identifiable information? Can we get terms that adequately protect that information? Will the service work with our campus identity management system (NetID)
Term of service (and exit strategy)
- Is this for a short term, or extended period of use? Is it clear how we can terminate the service? if we have to leave a vendor provided service, what are our alternatives? Is University data stored in a format we can easily move either to an on-campus service, or to an alternative vendor?
Other business risks
- how confident are we in the stability of the external provider? What previous experience does the vendor have in providing similar services? Can they provide evidence of compliance with related laws and regulations?
If you aren't sure if ITS provides a service, or if your thinking about contracting with a vendor to provide a technology service
, please contact the IT Service Center
. IT Service Center staff will put you in touch with an ITS specialist who can help with your decision.
: Information Technology Contract Guidelines