Charles Ezra Daniel Memorial Chapel
Chapel Scheduling and General Policies
Space is scheduled by chartered religious organizations and official offices and departments of the university. The chapel is not intended for use by regularly scheduled classes, clubs, conferences whose purpose is other than a religious activity, or for groups seeking to form new church congregations. Most activities are under the leadership of the university chaplain and/or sponsored by Furman University. Weddings and funerals are exceptions to this policy (see attached procedures).
The Chaplains' Office coordinates all scheduling. The chapel follows the university calendar. It is not available when Furman is not in session and on certain dates such as orientation, homecoming, commencement, parents' weekend. Security for personnel and property requires the staffing of the information desk whenever the building is open and the Chaplaincy staff is not present. We reserve the right to cancel or reschedule a wedding if a University sponsored event demands the use of the chapel.
While Furman desires to be hospitable to the larger community, the chapel's primary purpose is to serve the Furman family. Priority is given to events coordinated by the university chaplains' office, university-wide functions, religious organizations' programming, seminars and workshops, weddings and funerals. Certain events, such as weddings and receptions, require a fee.
The chaplains consult on a periodic basis with the Religious Activities Committee (a Furman administrative committee), Religious Council (representing student leadership of religious organizations), and campus ministers.
1. All activities must be scheduled through the university chaplains' office.
2. There will be no smoking or use of alcohol or other drugs at any time anywhere in the building.
3. Furniture, dishes, hymnals, etc. may not be removed from the building.
4. The chapel piano is not intended for use as a general practice piano. The piano may no be moved without prior consent of an appropriate person in the music department and the university chaplains' office.
6. The kitchen is for catering purposes only, not for meal preparation. Caterers and other persons wishing to use the kitchen must be approved by the chaplains' office. It is the responsibility of the person reserving space to make certain that the kitchen is cleaned and all equipment stored.
7. All groups are subject to fees for the use of chapel facilities.
8. To schedule space in the Chapel contact the Administrative Assistant to the Chaplain, Mrs. Susan Bennett; (864) 294-2133.