Sigma Delta Pi:
National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society
Mission (courtesy of the national website):
- To honor those who attain excellence in the study of the Spanish language and in the study of the literature and culture of the Spanish-speaking peoples;
- To honor those who have made the Hispanic contributions to modern culture better known in the English-speaking world;
- To encourage college and university students to acquire a greater interest in and a deeper understanding of Hispanic culture;
- To foster friendly relations and mutual respect between the nations of Hispanic speech and those of English speech;
- To serve its membership in ways which will contribute to the attainment of the goals and ideals of the society.
Sigma Delta Pi, the National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society (La Sociedad Nacional Honoraria Hispánica), was established on November 14, 1919, at the University of California Berkeley and is now a member of the Association of College Honor Societies
, the nation's only certifying agency for college and university honor societies. The Society's insignia is the royal seal of Fernando and Isabel, representing Castille, León and Aragón. Sigma Delta Pi's colors are red and gold, its flower is the red carnation, and its motto is the Greek phrase "Spanías Didagéi Proágomen" meaning "Let's go forth/continue forth under the teaching/guidance of the Spanish language." The national headquarters is located at the College of Charleston in South Carolina
Rho Kappa Chapter:
The Rho Kappa chapter of Sigma Delta Pi at Furman University was installed on May 3, 1988. Professor Gastón Fernández, former Vice President of the Southeast for Sigma Delta Pi and then chapter advisor for Clemson presided over the ceremony with Professor Bill Prince, who solicited the installation and served as Rho Kappa’s advisor from 1988- 1994. The chapter continued to thrive under the leadership of Dr. Linda Bartlett (1994-2000) and Dr. Ronald Friis (2000-2008) and has been directed by Dr. Maria Rippon since 2008.
For a complete list of member benefits, please visit the national website at: http://www.sigmadeltapi.org
(Deadline for application is 4 pm, Friday, February 22, 2013).